Summer’s Best Books for Food Entrepreneurs

Depending on your food business, summer may be the busiest season of the year. But for those of us who take a day or two to relax and enjoy the weather, your downtime doesn’t need to be unproductive. A chunk of time spent with a great business book is always well spent. Get a concentrated dose of knowledge while soaking up the sun, and you’ll return to your food business with new perspective and insight.

Summer 2019 brings us a wealth of great new books on entrepreneurship, marketing, and more. Here’s a roundup of the most worthwhile books to take to the beach, boardwalk, or camping trip this summer!

Want interviews, news, and industry resources in your inbox? Check out our newsletter!

(This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you choose to buy one of these books, Streetlight gets a small percentage. Just FYI!)

1. Secrets of Sand Hill Road: Venture Capital―and How to Get It, by Scott Kupor

There’s a lot of advice about venture capital out there, but very little of it is this valuable. Luckily Scott Kupor, Managing Partner of Silicon Valley’s top VC firm, is sharing his advice in a new book. In it, he dishes out advice for startups seeking investment or managing investors. Though your food brand may not be looking for SV-level capital, these lessons on how to court and work with investors are universal. Whether you’re looking to raise funds or are many rounds in, consider this your new guidebook.

2. Serious Eater: A Food Lover’s Perilous Quest for Pizza and Redemption, by Ed Levine

Summer reading should be as fun as it is informative. This new memoir, from Serious Eats’ founder Ed Levine, fits the bill. Levine built a food media company that succeeded against the odds, and he has stories that any entrepreneur will relate to. Even if you aren’t in the media field, the highs and lows of his journey make for a seriously (sorry!) good read. This is the story that all food industry professionals will be talking about this summer. Don’t miss it!

3. Do Scale: A Road Map to Growing A Remarkable Company, by Les McKeown

Nearly everyone wants to tell you how to start a business, but fewer experts want to teach you how to scale. Best-selling author Les McKeown is here to tackle the problem. McKeown has built dozens of businesses, and in this book, he tells you how to scale gracefully and successfully. Stuck at a plateau with your food brand? Take a few days to read McKeown’s advice, and you’ll come back to the business with fresh eyes.

4. Do More Faster: TechStars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup, 2nd Edition, by Brad Feld & David B. Cohen

Only 2% of TechStars applicants actually make it into the accelerator. For the other 98%, you can still learn from their team with the new edition of their award-winning book. Co-founders Brad Feld and David B. Cohen released the first edition of this book last year to great acclaim from startups and executives. This summer’s updated edition has even more insights and advice. Do More Faster is more than TechStars’ tagline. It could also be the recipe for your brand’s success.

5. Hotbox: Inside Catering, the Food World’s Riskiest Business, by Matt & Ted Lee

Though Hotbox follows a high-end catering company, anyone in food can relate to the roller coaster ride that Matt & Ted Lee describe. This book is a vacation-worthy page-turner, but with takeaways, that business owners can use. Isn’t it nice to read about someone else’s lost materials, botched evenings, and kitchen fires from the comfort of your beach chair?

Want Streetlight interviews, news, and industry resources in your inbox? Check out our newsletter!

Get the Newsletter

Our weekly newsletter contains everything a food entrepreneur needs to stay current, share connections, and succeed in the business. Sign up for interviews with experts, insights from peers, and all the most relevant industry news. Don’t get caught without the resource every foodpreneur is talking about. Subscribe now!